Sunday, November 2, 2008

Halloween 2008

Well this Halloween will definitely be a memorable one. I woke up on Friday morning and was not feeling well. The pain in my stomach had gotten worse from the night before. I decided not to go into work and that I would call my doctors office. When I told them my symptoms they wanted me to come in right away. After waiting for what felt like forever in the waiting room, they finally called me back. The doc listened to my symptoms, then he decided to poke and prod me. After ten minutes of this he decides that it is time for me to go to the ER. So I call my husband and told him that the doc wanted me to go to the ER. I get in my truck and start driving to the hospital, on the way there the only thing that kept going through my mind was what if there wrong and it will be nothing again. The reason why I kept thinking this is because most of the time that I got the ER they usually send me home with no explanation of what was the causing the pain. So I get myself checked in to the ER, and call my DH again to update him. There was no reason for him to come to the ER if they were just going to send me home. Well I sat in the waiting of over an hour, they finally called me back. They get an IV started and than the ER doc comes in and asks me about a million questions. He calls the nurse in to draw some blood and send me for a CAT scan. The CAT scan revealed that my appendix was enlarged and that I had a hemorrhagic cyst on my right ovary. Well that's just great. The ER doc tells me that he is sending the surgeon in to come talk to me. So I get on the phone and call DH, my sis, my mom, my friend Brittany, and raskind17 to let them know what is going on. DH drops everything and says he is on his way, my mom says she is leaving work and that she will be there soon; and my friend Brittany says she will be there soon too. The surgeon comes in and talks to me, and for the third time that day I was asked a million questions, and poked and prodded. Ugh it really hurt when they were poking me! Anyways he says that he needs to go talk to surgery and he will be back. He came back in five minutes and told me that they would be operating on me in about 3 hours. My DH finally gets there, he does not show up to pretty sight, I had gotten significantly worse. I was breathing rapidly, I was dry heaving, and my heart rate had shot up to about 140 bpm. That is not good! They got some meds in me to calm me down, it worked for about ten minutes, than the rapid breathing and high heart rate came back. So they moved the surgery up to right then. So I of course am freaking out, my DH is trying to sign all of these forms so he's freaking out, lets just say all around it was a pretty hectic event. When they rolled me back to the OR I remember almost rolling off of the table cuz I was trying to throw up, the anesthesiologist had just given me some medicine so the last thing, I remember hearing was a nurse yelling to get me to lay down cuz this was gonna hit me like a ton of brick. The next thing I remember is waking up in recovery, but I remember looking at the clock, and it was almost three hours later. I asked the nurse how the surgery had taken was anything wrong, she said the surgery only took about an hour and a half, but that they had been trying to wake me up for almost two hours. WOW, that's not scary or anything. Later I would find out that my DH and mom were freaking out in the waiting room, and calling every fifteen minutes to see if I was awake yet. I feel bad, I dunno why it was so hard for me to wake up at least I DID wake up! When I got the room, I was in so much pain I thought I was going to die. The rest of my stay was pretty normal, my DH didn't get any sleep cuz I was waking up every hour to pee. But other than that it was normal. I am home now, I am still in a great deal of pain. Thankfully DH is on Vacation this week so I will always have someone here to help me. I think I will go back to work on either Tuesday or Wednesday depending on how hard it is to walk. That was a horrible experience, and I am so glad that we only have one appendix! I guess the only good thing that came out of this is that they didn't see any endometriosis! So that is a blessing! I am so thankful for all of my friends and my family; and for all of the prayers and well wishes that were sent my way. Lets just say this was a very interesting Halloween.

2 comments:

aLLie said...

oh my!! I am so glad you're okay now!! I hope the pain goes away quickly!!

gee said...

OMG!!! I'm so sorry to hear about this. Sending you tons of well wishes for a speedy recovery.